Advertisements
Home > Religion and Philosophy > Reflections on Jesus

Reflections on Jesus

June 4, 2011

Two thousand years ago, a Man from Nazareth named Jesus lived in a Jewish culture, gathered followers, defied the church leaders of His time, and died a criminal’s death by being executed by Roman authorities for insurgence, though the verdict was questionable. It is a seemingly simple story, but the Man behind the history means far more to His modern-day believers than the above sentence would lead one to believe. He claimed to be the Son of God, the Jews’ Messiah, and He proved His claims true by healing illnesses, driving out demons, raising people from the dead, and finally by raising Himself to life after being falsely accused and murdered. Over two thousand years, His disciples have been tortured, expelled, excommunicated, segregated, beaten, burned, decapitated, hung, poisoned, stabbed, and shot for His name. He was the pivotal person of history, of His-story, as even our calendar reflects His life on earth. He is, was, and will be. He is the Word, who was with God in the beginning. He was, to speak in simultaneously simple and complex terms, God incarnate.

What is Jesus like? He, having become human, understands exactly what emotional and social problems look like from the perspective of His creation. He underwent the same temptations we do, ate the same food that we do, and had the same relationships we do. He had parents He had to obey under Mosaic Law. He had friends who deserted Him. He knows what it is like to be human. He also cares about our welfare in a way that only the One for whom, through whom, and by whom all things were created can care (Col. 1:16). He loves every IRS agent, terrorist, stripper, murderer, rapist, and hacker because He created them. They, in their ignorance of that love having turned away, have killed Him with their sin and missed the greatest love ever known and shown. For not only did He preach love, He lived it. He was perfect, sinless, the spotless Lamb. He reconciled every sinful soul, convicted of lies, treachery, and hate, to the God that had to deliver justice, a God of truth, righteousness, and love. Because there was no way for any one of us to ever save ourselves from the wrath of a Holy Judge, by good works or philanthropy, we were condemned to die, to be separated in our sin from our perfect God eternally. Though we did nothing to deserve it, perfect, sinless, Jesus of Nazareth, the Son of God, died under the full burden of every sin committed up to that point, to this day, and to infinity. By His blood we have been cleansed of our iniquity, and by His scars we have been healed (1 Pet. 2:24).

Who is He to me? He is my salvation, my reason for living, and my Comforter. He is the One I trust with my problems and the One to whom I owe my life. He breathed into my body His life and set my spirit ablaze in my mother’s womb. He emptied my slate by His empty tomb. He took the nails meant for my hands, the whip meant for my back, and cross meant for my death. He took the punishment I earned through my selfish ways when He never had a selfish thought in His life. He took the ridicule, the pain, and the poisonous remarks thrown at Him by the Pharisees, and returned to them love that I do not even show my own family. He was stabbed by the spear of my complacency and shed tears over my disobedience that far outweigh those I shed when I think of what He did for me. Sorrowfully, He looked upon me as I added more drops of His blood to my sins as I violated His laws before I knew Him. He is more than just fire insurance; He is worthy of everything I can give Him and so much more that I cannot. He is a lifestyle, a mindset. He is the aspiration of my life; I want to be like Jesus.

Jesus is the One the Jews were waiting for, though they continue waiting. Yeshua Hammashiach, Jesus the Messiah, was the most important thing that ever happened to us earthlings. As Paul wrote, “For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,” (1 Tim. 2:5). Without Him, we are doomed to be damned, and indeed, we are damned already, for this world would be the closest thing to Heaven we would ever know, and that would be utterly heartrending. And because “there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,” He is the only way to live eternally. Christ Jesus is the reason to live. He is the goal of all life. He is life.

Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. (Gal. 1:3-5)

Advertisements
  1. Graham
    June 10, 2011 at 7:08 am

Oh for crying out loud. You seem to believe this mythological fantasy.

Do yourself a favor grab that disgusting tome you know as The Bible and head on over to http://www.EvilBible.com to find out just how vile and reprehensible is the “deity” you worship.

And you want to cry about abuse of “Christians”, just look at the milenia of horrific crimes by Christians upon countless peoples, and the abuse they continue to perpetrate upon people throughout society even today.

• June 10, 2011 at 8:58 am

Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to comment!

To answer, I do believe it, yes.

I understand your opinions, and I will be looking at this site to get an even better grasp of what people perceive Christians as being. I might even post my thoughts on it! (so you should subscribe šŸ™‚ )I think I can guess at a few of the things that are on this site, as I am well aware of what “Christians” have done in the name of God.

To speak to your first point, there is overwhelming evidence from the early A.D. era of people even outside Christianity writing letters about a man named Jesus and his followers. Even the martyrs of the early church themselves prove something. People do not die for a lie.

I am very saddened by those who have used God as an excuse to control, to gain power, and to harm others. That was not God’s plan. That was not his charge to us.

“Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love.” – 1 John 4:8

The very book you condemn because it is “vile” accuses those who claim to be Christians but do not show others love of being false in their faith.

“Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.” – Philippians 2:3-4

If Christians have served others and given of themselves in love, then they are showing you what God is like. Those who have not are either false or they have succumbed to their human desires, the ones we all share. It is in our nature to be selfish.

I hope I have explained my position a little better. Again, thank you for your comment, and I hope you come back o see any posts I make about that website.

2. Narnian of Vilya
    August 13, 2011 at 10:08 pm

Geld, I also am a Believer. I’m continually surprised at the level of emotion, even hatred, the Bible is capable of stirring in people. I’ve never seen that much vitriol directed at Muslims or Buddhists. It seems there is a special contempt reserved for Christians and Jews. It both fascinates and dismays me, especially knowing what I know about the reality of Scripture.

• August 13, 2011 at 10:26 pm

That’s true, Narn! Glad to hear you are with me on this šŸ™‚

The thing is, the Gospel has an effect on some people where they feel either judged or cornered. People don’t like that. Ironically, if we portray the message correctly, the judgment is not from us, but they “shoot the messenger,” so to speak.

• Graham
      September 3, 2011 at 9:04 pm

That’s because you live in a tiny little world that doesn’t extend beyond the tip of your nose and can’t even conceive of the reality beyond the cloistered little world you grew up in and have surrounded yourself with. There are thousands of religions around the world, most of which have suffered just as much, if not more ‘persecution’ as Christianity (its followers who constantly cry persecution when the heavy hammer of decency and humanity crashes down on Christians to say NO you will NOT persecute others with your religious beliefs as you have for so many centuries).

Granted compared to even more barbaric Islam, Christianity has had several more centuries to be put in its place and forced to conform to standards of modern decency, but make no mistake there are oceans of blood, pain, misery, war, and death perpetrated by that religion. Oh yeah, THEY considered themselves JUST as good as you think your version of Christianity is, but they followed the same twisted tome (www.EvilBible.com) and horrid deity described within (and the fact of the matter is they were following its instruction more closely than today’s “spanked” Christians).

Realities of Scripture. You eschew realities because the rational reasonable part of your brain KNOWS the Bible is a crock and you are deathly afraid to admit that.

3. andrua
    November 5, 2011 at 4:17 pm

God doesn’t exist. Get over it. Life your life. Be happy.

4. Lanir
    December 11, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Hi,

I’m going to try something a bit different and go for a semi-reasonable conversation. To give some context, I don’t hold the same beliefs as you. I’m largely non-religious. I’ve had Catholic schooling and years of church life but my personal path lead me far afield from that.

From an outside perspective, I think the blog post here is really just a statement of beliefs. If you don’t share them, there isn’t a lot to really get involved with. The replies seem to me to be consistent with that viewpoint as they largely don’t speak say much about anything brought up in the blog entry but talk about Christianity in general. Seems to be something of a can of worms really.

Again from an outside perspective I think the only thing that is actually stated that I found worthy of concern would be the general self-worth attitude in the third paragraph. That can trigger uncomfortable reactions for a couple different reasons. First, we can assume this same feeling is applied to everyone, people in general. Most of us have heard this viewpoint at one point or another and it tends to be accompanied by the idea of redemption through Christian faith. Well, the implied corollary to that would be that anyone who doesn’t share the faith is somehow lesser in their eyes. I’d imagine it’s easy to see how that’s not particularly endearing. Second, the statements are a sort of self diminishment in preparation to asking for outside guidance. If you consider what that looks like to someone who does not share the faith… it’s a pretty scary idea that a lot of your friends and neighbors may either think that way or be wondering what’s wrong with them that they can’t think that way. Because where to a believer the answers will always come from God at that point, the rest of us will not share that reassurance. Answers much closer to Earth and less noble present themselves easily. And it’s the silent majority who simply doesn’t object that lends the most radical elements the perceived power they have.

Anyway, that’s what people appear to do with their beliefs and why you may catch flack for simple statements. It’s not rude ranting from rude people (well, usually not). It’s fear and distrust and unfortunately there are some rather legitimate justifications for those sentiments.

Okay, sorry about the wall ‘o text. If any of this bothers you feel free to delete it. I actually wandered in to look at the game content anyway. šŸ™‚

5. Sam
    December 6, 2012 at 7:43 pm

good on u for sharing your beliefs

1. December 11, 2011 at 9:38 pm